$10,000 on the Line in Cole Cup; Stars from Around Northeast Expected to Converge on Utica-Rome Speedway
VERNON, NY – Next Sunday, July 31st the stars of the 360 Sprint Car racing world will converge on the Utica-Rome Speedway for the third edition of the prestigious Cole Cup. One driver will walk away with over $10,000 in prize money with a hefty $500 going to any driver that makes the 30-lap A-Main.
The Cole Cup is the largest paying 360 Sprint Car event in New York State. For the 2016 season, the event has paired with the Williams Grove Speedway National Open which pays $4,000 to win as well as the Selinsgrove Speedway’s National Open which also pays $10,000 to win. One driver will be crowned the overall Mid-Atlantic Crown Series “Weekend of Money” Champion at the conclusion of Sunday night’s event. A $10,000 bonus has been posted courtesy of Lelands.com if any driver can capture all three events on weekend meaning one driver could pocket over $34,000 for the weekend.
Other contingency money includes a $2,000 point fund sponsored by Einstein Construction Group which will be split among the top 10 drivers in points during the weekend. There is also a $2,000 participation pot to be divided between drivers that tow to all three events. That is sponsored by Fox Shocks, ASI Racewear, Dave Franek Auto Sales and Don Ott Racing Engines. DirtTrackDigest.com has also posted a $100 fast-time award. They’ll also present a championship belt to the overall point champion of the three race series.
The large payout is expected to bring the best drivers in the Northeast to the speedway. Pa Posse members Greg Hodnett and Lucas Wolfe had made their intentions known to compete in all three events during the weekend. Hodnett is one of the leading Sprint Car winners in the country this season including multiple wins with the United Racing Club in 360 action. Wolfe visited Utica-Rome earlier in the season to get a handle on the half-mile scoring a top five finish.
Pennsylvania drivers Aaron Ott, Jason Shultz and others are expected to make trek north on Interstate 81.
The Empire Super Sprints will have a strong representation as well. Jason Barney, a two-time winner this season at Utica, who will be hoping to continue his dominance at the speedway. He’ll be joined by six-time champion and Cole Cup runner-up finisher Steve Poirier. Other drivers that are in the point standing with the Empire Super Sprints expected to attend include Paul Kinney, Matt Tanner, Parker Evans, Chuck Hebing, Bryan Howland, Shawn Donath, Danny Varin, Jeff Cook and more.
The United Racing Club should have a contingent of drivers hauling north for the big money as well. Davie Franek is the current URC point leader. He already has four feature wins on the season and has shown speed at Utica-Rome in the past. Robbie Stillwaggon sits behind him while Curt Michael is the third high-point man with the organization. Josh Weller and Troy Betts round of the top five with URC.
Stewart Friesen is the sole winner of the Cole Cup capturing the first two events which were run in the month of September. Last year’s event lost to rain.
Racing for the Cole Cup will get underway at 6pm next Sunday with gates opening at 3:30pm. Joining the Sprint Cars on the evening is the Gates-Cole Insurance Modifieds as well as the SUNY Canton 602 Sportsman. For more information, visit the speedway website at www.uticaromespeedway.com.
COLE CUP INFORMATION
Cole Cup Purse: 1. $10,000 2. $5,000 3. $2,200 4. $1,500 5 $1,200 6. $1,100 7. $1,075 8. $1,050 9. $1,025 10. $1,000 11. $900 12. $800 13. $700 14. $650 15. $625 16. $600 17. $575 18. $550 19. $525 20 $500 21. $500 22. $500 23. $500 24. $500.
Tow Money: $50 for non-qualifiers
Lap Sponsorships to Date 7/24/16
1. Head Starters Matt Burdick and Tom Neddo. Good Luck! – $25
2. Good luck to all teams from Highside Racewear. – $25
2. Brewerton Speedway…Lucas Oil ESS against the best Sept. 2. – $25
3. Good luck from Can-Am Motorsports Park – $50
5. Good Luck Lucas Wolfe & the Allebach Racing /Orange Crate Brewing Co.#5w – $25
5. Wish all the teams the best Bitner Automotive – $25
6. Good Luck to all drivers from Kelleher Tire – $25
6. Good luck to all drivers from Dave Farney. – $25
7. Good luck to all teams from 87 Speed – $25
7. Good Luck to all, from Douville Racing an 7x Nation! – $25
8. Good luck to all teams from 87 Speed – $25
9. Dean Reynolds – Good luck to all teams! – $25
10. Good luck to Jeff Cook and Kelly Hebing from L&J Landscaping – $25
11 Good luck all drivers from Jay Fish Photography – $25
12. Good luck from dickdragonmotorsports .com. – $25
13. In Memory of Kevin Ward Jr. from Matt Tanner Racing – $50
14. Good luck from Brett Deyo and Short Track Super Series – $25
15. The Mach 1 Chassis Halfway – $100.
17. Little things in life. Wish you all the best.
19. In Memory of Guy Howie – $25
20. Good luck from Moran Racing Products – $25
21. Good Luck Lucas Wolfe #5w from former ESS 21A RC Faigle & “BrewCrew” – $25
22. Wish all the teams the best. hammerdownphotos .com- $25
23. Good Luck to all teams from Einstein Construction Group – $25
25. Good luck to all from TB Fantasy Racing – $25
26. The Brighton Speedway – Labour Day Classic Sept. 3 and 4 with SOS Sprints. – $25
28. Good Luck from Dave Franek Auto Sales. – $25
29. Williams Grove Camp Mayhem wishes all teams the best of luck! – $25
30. 31st lap Podcast! Good luck! – $31